STATE OF THE ART OPTIMIZED EMBEDDED SOLUTIONS
Using variety of microcontrollers from STMicroelectronics, Seavus experts have possibility to develop and deliver diverse embedded devices in diverse areas of technology. The well balanced microcontrollers manufactured by STMicroelectronics gives a possibility to create devices which are fulfilling complex and difficult requirements with cost optimized solutions.
We have developed diverse devices with use of this technology and we are pleased to give more details for some of them at the following links:
Shopping Cart helper
This NFC based electronic shopping cart device, or smart basket, is a small electronics device attached to a shopping basket helping the customers in the big shopping malls to have information about the items they have in their carts. It is used in stores as a kind of shopping assistant device and a device that will inform the customers about the promotions and other advertising information. When customer wants to buy a product from the store, it can be registered into the device and the product is automatically added in customers’ electronic shopping basket list of items. The same device can be used to get more details about the product like: possible promotions, ingredients and additional information that is not exposed at products package.
The basic set of functionalities provided by this device are:
- Read information from products via NFC or Bar Code
- Display details about product taken from the shelf
- List all of the items into the basket
- Calculate overall sum of all the items
- Communicate with automatic cashier for self-payment
- Exposing promotion materials during idle time
- As the buyers move along the shop when entering in a new department a specific promotional materials can be exposed
The hardware used in this device is based on development boards from STM. The main board is a STM32F7 Discovery board with addition of an NFC module which is also STM based. The following list provides more details of the used HW:
- STM32F746G-Disco board with STM32F746NGH6 Cortex-M7 ARM microcontroller (link).
- M24LR-DISCOVERY Kit (link):
- M24LR board with M24LR04E-RMN6T/2 Dual Interface EEPROM with I2C and ISO/IEC 15693 RF interfaces, 4 Kbits of EEPROM and password protection in SO8N package
- RF transceiver board with CR95HF-VMD5T 13.56 MHz multi-protocol contactless transceiver IC
The system has a specifically designed GUI for use by diverse customer types. The system has the following features:
- LCD to expose information
- Normal GUI with fancy images used by general population
- Special modes for use by seniors and customers with lowered vision capabilities
- Depending on screen size, LCD can be used to play images/movies for the kids sitting on the cart
The STM based gaming console is intended to serve as a powerful but not so expensive device which will be mostly used by small kids, toddlers, as an electronic hand held play tool. Based on our analysis of potential candidate platforms, STM32 Discovery boards fulfills all the needed criteria in order to be used as base for development of such a console. The major reason for having such a device is to have a:
- Replacement of parent’s mobile for gaming
- Cheap device for the kids/toddlers to play
- Easy to use and play
- Easy to install new games
The platform provides an excellent system for development of almost all types of games since it is interfacing diverse input devices like:
- Simple buttons/ keys
- Touch screen
- Analog Joystick
The feedback to the player is via:
- Small embedded speaker/headphones
- Haptic vibration device
The current version of the prototype is based on STM32F7 Discovery board and also version for STM32F4 Discovery.
A device for advanced payment terminal in every shop where cash is used for buying goods. The system has a set of diverse interfaces for interconnection with external devices like bar code reader, cash box, electronics scales and similar. As a basic requirement for this device is precise control of all the cash which is taken during the daily sales and calculation of all the taxes that should be paid. Additionally the system has to take care for a detailed stock status of all the goods which are stored into the shop where the device is used.
Main features of this advanced payment terminal are:
- Powerful and cost expensive MCU for the main board.
- Thermal printer with step motor driver.
- 2 Graphical Displays (192×32 and 192×64)
- GSM modem
- Micro SD card socket, to serve as an internal Electronic Journal
- External EJ socket for custom Electronic Journal modules
- Protected Fiscal Memory
- Lead acid charger and Li-Ion battery for power supply.
- Keypad support
- Barcode support
- Audio output
- Drawer support
- Communication ports: Ethernet, USB Host, USB Device, 4x RS232
The system is consisted of multiple MCU boards with STM chips used. Using STM provided a possibility to use a MCU for their diverse portfolio which are a perfect fit for all the need for this product. Besides the main board the following boards are using STM MCU’s:
- Tax storage modules which guarantee detection of any tamper attempts and require encrypted communication with main board
- Matrix keyboard with detection for single and multiple key presses
- Battery monitoring and gauge device
3 axis stepper motor control device
Motor control system is a crucial part of a bigger project where simple and robust solution for precise positioning of a hook is needed. Motor control device’s duty is to control the movement of the hook with high precision as fast as possible for the mechanics used.
Stepper motor drivers used in this 3-axis motor device are STMicroelectronics L6470H as a part of EVAL6470H demonstration board. These boards act as a fully integrated micro stepping motor drivers, and when used in daisy chain configuration it can easily be configured to control all 3 motors from a single SPI master. However in this configuration one MCU was used to control two stepper drivers for positioning the hook in Y and Z directions and one MCU was used to control the position of the hook in X direction by using DC motor with Encoder.
MCUs used to control and communicate with DC motor and stepper motor control drivers are based on STM32F415. STM32F415RG is a high-performance ARM Cortex-M4 32-bit core, incorporates high-speed embedded memories (Flash memory of 1 Mbyte and 192 Kbytes of SRAM), two PWM timers for motor control.
Wearable Gadget Project
Wearable Gadget or wrist monitoring system is a hardware device that can monitor, detect and aggregate various body parameters as well as body states (running, walking…). It has wireless communication with a mobile device via Bluetooth 4.0 interface and wired via USB which is also used for battery charging.
Features that are supported by the Wearable Gadget device are:
- Measures ambient temperature
- Measures skin temperature
- Compass/target orientation (vibrate/beep towards desired direction)
- Atmospheric pressure
- Altitude measurement
- Pulse oximeter
The gadget has three modes of operation: Normal, Fitness and Sleeping mode making it usable during the whole day. Used for measurement of aggregation during physical workouts, pedometer, calories counter, aggregation during sleep, smart alarm, etc.
Hardware components which are part of the Wearable Gadget are:
- Main MCU STM32L152
- Barometer ST LPS331AP
- Simple LCD display (96×68 pixels)
- Accelerometer and magnetometer – ST LSM303DLHC
- Temperature sensor – ST STTS751
- Bluetooth low energy module
- Simple speaker and vibrator
- LEDs and photodetectors for oximeter
- Power management and battery charging